Thursday, May 7, 2009

Video of the Day: "Two Words"

"Ayo, two words: Chi-Town, South Side, worldwide
Cuz I, rep that, til I, f*ckin' die ..."

Those bars give me chills every time I hear them - every time. They're the opening lines to Kanye West's stanza of "Two Words," off his seminal debut album, "The College Dropout." Until now, the only time the song's been performed in a "video" format was on "Chappelle's Show," where Mos Def, Ye and Freeway performed as musical guests.

But today, Yeezy posted this to his blog, saying an actual music video of his got canned over creative control:

"This video never got played because I refused to remove the titles on it. They said people will think a TV show is going off and I said that's the whole point. Wow... even only 3 videos in to the game.... I refused to compromise my vision."

I dunno what took him so long to release it, but I'm hella glad he did. His portion of the video makes me homesick, and I'm sure my NY and Philly homies will feel the same about Def and Free's parts.

2 comments:

The Hero said...

Great song, great video.

The D.E.F.I. said...

God I miss that Kanye.