Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rest in Peace Slick


Years ago in 2001 I was introduced to a new friend, Lee "Stretch" Denmon, who was on the Texas A&M Corpus Christi basketball team with my best friend. Stretch turned out to be a great friend but was tragically killed in a random shooting when he moved back to Inglewood in 2003.

Through Stretch a group of friends and I started a small independent record label "Stretch 5 Records" that never really got off the ground. Even though the record label never reached the levels that we hoped for, I met and became good friends with a few of Stretch's friends.

This morning I received the sad news that one of those friends passed away. Slick was always the motivator in the crew and we will miss him dearly. He loved to freestyle and was never considered to be the label's forefront talent but was happy to hop on a track whenever he had the opportunity.

In memory of both Stretch and Slick I'm posting these two songs that I dug up featuring Slick on the last verse of both songs. Neither ever were engineered so they're very rough mixes but I know Slick would be both proud and hyped to know that I put these up. As I went through my old computer I couldn't believe how much material we recorded in a short time. The unfortunate irony is that the first song "Legacy" is a track devoted to Stretch's legacy.

We'll miss you Slick, I know you and Stretch are together watching over your loved ones. Rest in peace.

Legacy Zshare Download ft. Murdok, Japanese, Royal Birdyl, Slick.


How Bout It Zshare Download ft. Royal Birdyl, Murdok, Slick and Japanese on the hook.



2 comments:

The D.E.F.I. said...

My condolences. RIP.

The Dallas Kid said...

Sorry to hear that Fam. May he Rest in Peace.