Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Daily Dunk: Everick Sullivan

Since I liked the change of pace the Dirk Minniefield dunk brought to Crooked Straight, I figured I'd continue in that vein by reminiscing on Everick Sullivan putting Irv Thomas on his ass.

Old Irv was a 6'9 stud for the Seminoles in 1989-90, averaging 16.7 and 7.6 per, along with a block and an assist a game. He led the squad in minutes played and shots attempted, and hit double figures in scoring every game that year. The Lakers picked him up after he graduated, but he only played a handful of games and faded away.

Upshot is, Irv wasn't no punk.

However, neither was Everick Sullivan. He was a Parade All-American who became one of the "Doctors of Dunk" at Louisville, and is still in the school's career top 10 in assists and 3-point shooting. He played overseas for nine years after graduating and was head coach at Vincennes University for three years until leaving in May to move on to Eastern Kentucky.

Here, Everick goes baseline and Irv is forcefully introduced to the concept of "too late." To top it off, keep watching as Everick wins the game with a three at the buzzer.

2 comments:

The Hero said...

Where is all this knowledge coming from? lol. I think the farthest back I can go is Harold Miner. This is good but he's no dirk minnefield.

TJ said...

Kev, I remember the dunks from somewhere and then just do a bit of research on them. By no means am I trying to pretend I know all this stuff off the top of my head.

Besides, I keep coming across other "Dunk of the Day" features in other spots. CS' gon' be different cuz we gon' drop knowledge with ours. :)