Tuesday, August 26, 2008

RIP Kevin Duckworth



Two-time All-Star Kevin Duckworth died Monday night. It sounds like a heart attack or something similar.

I was saddened when I heard the news this morning. I've never met the man, nor have I ever been a Portland Trailblazers fan, but Kevin was from my alma mater, Eastern Illinois University. It's not a school renowned for its athletic tradition, and prior to Tony Romo's emergence, Duckworth was its most successful pro athlete alum.

I realize that's not saying much about the school, but it says a lot about Duckworth. He wasn't much of a prospect coming out of college, but fashioned a solid career out of hard work and teamwork. He averaged 11.8 points and 5.8 rebounds over 11 seasons in the League, and got to the Finals twice. He was the league's most improved player in 1987-88. Not bad for a second-round pick who was traded after 14 games his rookie year.

But not only do I have love for Duck because of the college ties, but because he was from where I'm from. He was born in Harvey, a decimated south suburb of Chicago. My sister was born there, I joined the Marines there ... I even got my ass whipped by police there. He went to Thornridge High, which also graduated basketball lifer Quinn Buckner, NBA journeyman Sam Mack and movie critic Richard Roeper.

He was a South Side success story, and one of the most beloved players in Trailblazer history, which is saying something, given how passionate fans are about that team. In fact, he was on a goodwill tour for the team when he died. People from Harvey to Charleston, Ill., to Portland will testify to his generous nature and kindness to everyone he met. He was beloved at Eastern not just for his athletic success, but his classy representation of our tiny school.

So here's to the "gentle giant" with the giant heart. If there's a heaven, Duck, you've surely been welcomed there with open arms.

1 comment:

The Hero said...

R.I.P.! He used to kill the Sonics.