Thursday, August 14, 2008

Baseball Trades

There's something about this year's baseball season that has kept myself and others captivated in a sport that should have lost it's luster after it's offense fell off due to the whole league juicing for better paychecks. But even as a Mariners fan I've been following the MLB, from the race in the NL West to the miracle that is occurring in Tampa.

Part of the intrigue has been the trades that have gone down during the season. Normally, Griffey Jr. and Pudge would take the headlines in trades, but this year they were barely even blips.

These teams made good trades and I applaud them for that. I said the Red Sox would be ideeeeeeuts if they traded Manny, but it seems they have found a formidable replacement in Jason Bay. I had no idea if Casey Blake was any good, but it seems the Dodgers knew what they were doing (or not?). I thought C.C. was an ill pitcher, and I was right (shout out to the Valley Jo). Now I am just hoping that the Devil Rays will scoop up Barry Bonds off the ... FBI wanted list? Bay and Teixeira have somehow gone completely under the radar.

The best part is that for the most part (come on Griff), the stars are living up to their reps and sky high salaries.

Stats since being traded:


Los Angeles Dodgers
Manny Ramirez: .467 BA, 10 R, 21 H, 5 HR, 16 RBI in 12 games.


Boston Red Sox
Jason Bay: .340 BA, 14 R, 11 RBI in 12 games.


Anaheim Angels
Mark Teixeira: .340 BA, 12 R, 4 HR, 13 RBI in 13 games.


Chicago Cubs
Rich Harden: 2-1, 1.80 ERA, 7 ER 49k in 35 IP, in six games.


Milwaukee Brewers
CC Sabathia: 7-0, 1.55 ERA, 11 ER 60k in 64 IP, 4 CG in eight games.

The best trade? I would love to give it to the Dodgers for snatching my favorite player Manny from the BoSox, but CC is in another world right now, completely dominating the entire National League. Let's just hope he holds up for the playoffs.

1 comment:

TJ said...

No mention of Griffey? Killing me.