Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What's G commercial

For anyone else that was watching the Rose Bowl or has seen these "G" commercials anywhere else and is wondering wtf they are for, I found the answer: Gatorade. This was somewhat obvious in retrospect but the Jabowakeez (or whatever they are) and a few other characters in the commercial threw me off. Apparently Lil Wayne is now the voice of Gatorade as well.

I find it somewhat interesting that Gatorade is doing this, considering they are basically acknowledging the fact they're taking it from the hip hop culture by using Wayne in the commercial. And aside from meaning a thousand (a G) and a few other things, G does mean Gangsta/Gangster. I remember the golden days when my friends and I would call each others G's and my mom always wanted to know what it stood for. Apparently, it stands for a sports beverage. How refreshing.



Gatorade appears to be doing a complete brand marketing makeover and will start calling their drink "G" instead of Gatorade. In my opinion that's kind of (imagine another three letter G word), but I guess there marketing department got bored and couldn't find any other ways to fill out the budget during these prosperous times in America...

1 comment:

Corner Sleeper said...

good find...i kept wondering what the hell the G commericals were for... cuz they had a ridiculous lineup of endorsers.