Thursday, January 8, 2009

Antonius Officially Accepts Durrrr's Challenge


Shortly after Tom "durrrr" Dwan's Heads up poker challenge was made public, a few names were thrown around regarding the most likely candidate to take Dwan up on his offer.

As we learned earlier in the week, Ivey has already accepted the challenge and now high stakes pro Patrik Antonius has also officially accepted to take Dwan on as well.

In a recent phone interview with Card Player magazine Antonius discussed just what went through his mind when he first heard about Dwan's offer:

"It sounded too good to be true. I tried to figure out what would be the trap there and I still haven’t really figured it out. But I’m sure he’s really thought about it. For sure, he’s one of the best at the moment.

It’s like Phil Ivey says. He plays anyone, and everybody knows that. I’m basically the same. I mean, obviously I would not play him if it was just even because there’d be much better games out there. But it’s pretty interesting. Even if I lose, it’d probably help my game a lot. I really hate losing though."


He then goes on to discuss who he believes has a better chance of beating Dwan between him and Phil Ivey:

"I mean, it would be kind of stupid to not say me. But Phil Ivey — I’ve said it so many times before — he’s the greatest that I’ve played. He just has something that most people can only dream of. I don’t know how he does it. He just thinks differently. He’s a very smart guy. It’s going to be very interesting to see how they play. In fact, I might want to play second to see how they play."

Click here
for the full interview.

Personally, I think out of the three players who have expressed the most interest in taking Dwan's challenge (Ivey, Antonius and Benyamine) Antonius seems like the best suited to succeed. Out of the three, he's the one who actually worked his way up multi tabling online while the other two first emerged on the live scene and then made the transition to online poker. Not to imply that the other two don't stand a chace. I mean, Benyamine is regarded as one of the best pot limit omaha players in the world and Ivey...well Ivey's just Ivey.

Tom Dwan also recently gave an interview on CardPlayer tv about the Challenge so make sure to check that out as well.

2 comments:

rakeback said...

I checked recently and the Durrrr Challenge still isn't half over. I think Patrik will eventually prevail, but the match-up has been surprisingly close thus far.

play2win said...

why is this stupid challenge taking so long? they are playing 4 tables at once!!