Thursday, June 28, 2012

Throwback Thursday: "Can I Get A..." -- Jay-Z ft. Amil and Ja Rule

As I rewatched this for the first time in years, a few things came to mind:
  1. R.I.P. Chris Penn.
  2. She holds down this verse, but how did Jigga ever think he could sell Amil as a sexpot female emcee?
  3. Amil's girls from Major Coins (dancing behind her) ain't bad, though. But I don't think I ever heard either of them on a single song...like, ever.
  4. This song was a party banger when it first came out. I can't tell you how many times it would come on at a party in college and you would immediately find a group of guys (sometimes including yours truly) on one couch rapping Jay's part of the chorus, and a group of girls on an opposite couch rapping Amil's part.
  5. Ja's first appearance, ever. He drew comparisons to DMX because of his raspy voice (which was a stupid criticism), but somehow avoided catching heat for borrowing Tupac's thug style.
  6. Maybe no one cared because Ja spit a sick verse, with a killer ending.
  7. I really feel like watching "Rush Hour" now.


No comments: