Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ashley Fox to Ines Sainz: "Get ya mind right."

Okay, so I'm posting this partially because it backs up what I said on Monday regarding the Ines Sainz/New York Jets story. I'm guilty of a little narcissism from time to time, just like anyone else.

But Ashley Fox's column is also well-written and unabashedly truthful. And, being a female sports journalist (a real one, unlike Sainz), she has perspective on the story that I can never have.

From Philly.com Sports:
You also don't walk into an NFL locker room wearing jeans that leave little to the imagination and a blouse that reveals your substantial cleavage. You don't have to dress ultra-conservatively, but you have to be smart. If you want to be treated like a girl at a bar, dress like a girl at a bar. If you want to be treated professionally and without incident, cover up.

To be a real, professional female sports journalist in this country, you must know: Athletes can be pigs. They say things. You have to have a thick skin and be prepared to fire back at them.

Fox gets it right: Sainz got it wrong. This is a good piece, and definitely worth the read.

And, Ines, if you're reading this (wouldn't that be some shit?), let me say:



—Not appropriate for being treated professionally in an NFL locker room; but VERY appropriate if you want to become Mrs. D.E.F.I. Call me, girl.

No comments: